Note: For the duration of Riley's mission, this blog will be produced and edited by his parents, Daisy and Todd Stonely.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Week 54: Blessed are the Poor in Spirit...Blessed are the Meek

Dear Friends and Family,

This week was yet again another great week! Full of more and MORE learning. And so much work to be done. I wanted to share with you all something that I learned this week in my studies and throughout the days. 

On Sunday afternoon, right after church I was studying in the scriptures. One of the speakers who spoke during sacrament meeting had been assigned to give a talk based off of a couple chapters in the book of 3 Nephi 12-14. Chapter 12 includes the "Beatitudes." His talk fascinated me to the point where that day I decided to dive deeper into each "Beatitude" and study them a little bit more. Though as I studied them I found my mind dwelling on two in specific. They are found in Verses three and five.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" verse 3.
"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth" verse 5.

I probably spent a long time pondering these two because time was flying by during the hour of study that I had. These two touched me a bit harder than the rest because these past couple of weeks many challenges, difficulties and what you could call "trials" seem to have been never ending. I found myself most days with feelings of anger, envy, regret, and feeling in a way entitled to some help from above. 

My studies have been recently focused on Christlike attributes, though until now I didn't quite apply what I had been learning. After reflecting the two scriptures, I realized that I was personally holding in a lot of personal pride. I thought of how I could become "poor in spirit" and "come unto him" which led me to becoming more humble and meek. I realized that in so many ways, I was feeling "entitled" to help when the help was already here. Becoming meek and humble is submitting yourself to the savior and letting him teach and help you. I Learned that If I was a little more humble and meek in what I was doing and how I interacted with others, the help I thought I was "entitled" to, could be given to me in any needful moment. I also realized that If i were to have any of the blessings of the gospel or "the kingdom of heaven" or "inherit the earth" I was to become more Christlike. Especially humble and meek. 

Now I apologize for the crazy spread of thoughts! Though I hope that if any of you are experiencing the same feelings that I felt this week that you too can experience the blessings that come from forgiving others even when you weren't in the wrong or by looking at things that happen in a different perspective. There is no pride in the heart of the humble. and those who are humble and "come unto him" shall inherit the "kingdom of heaven" as well as the fruits of the atonement and the blessings of the gospel. I am so grateful for our savior, Jesus Christ, and all that he has shown me, taught me and especially for his amazing example. I know that he truly did suffer for our sins, how we feel and the sorrows around us. I am grateful as well to serve the people around me:)

I thank you all so much for the support you are to all the missionaries around the world. Have a great week this week and enjoy your summer :) 

Much love,
Elder Stonely

P.S. I left my camera at home, so pictures will have to wait another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment